During Romney’s campaign for president it was brought out in the open how prejudiced some people are when it comes to Mormons. I think it's partially due to the fact that there are a lot of rumors going around about the church that simply are not true. There are also misunderstandings about what we believe because people are seeing from their own religious point of view. It's like seeing a puzzle that is not only missing pieces but there are pieces that don't even belong in the puzzle and the ones that do belong are in the wrong place.
I had a couple of experiences that really brought this to my attention. One was when I was scanning through radio stations and came upon a program with a discussion about Mormons. One man called in and said that the Mormons don’t believe in the Bible. Another man called and said, “The Muslims are more Christian than the Mormons because at least they believe that Jesus Christ was a prophet.” The radio host went right along agreeing with everything they said. They didn’t have a representative of the church on the show. It made me wonder if they had a desire to know the truth about what we believe or if they were just trying to boost their ratings with gossip. It was frustrating to listen to. I wanted to tell them that we believe the Bible is the word of God as revealed to His prophets. I wanted to tell them that we not only believe that Jesus Christ is a prophet but that He is the Son of God. But most of all I wanted to say that if there was anyone listening who wanted to know what the Mormons really believe then ASK A MORMON. Don’t listen to the rumors that you hear from a radio station or your neighbor. ASK A MORMON.


2 comments:
I hear you. Being a convert to the church, I have heard some pretty interesting things from family about what they think is fact about the church and it's members. Yikes...
That is totally true, and I think that more people need to think about that, and do it, if they want the truth. It really makes sense.
Post a Comment