Monday, May 28, 2012

Guess Tommy's Mission Destination Contest


What a difference a year makes.  A year ago I would never have dreamed that our son Tommy would be on a mission today.  But miracles really do happen.

On Sunday July 24, 2011 Tommy had his final interview with the stake president before he sent his missionary application in.  We decided it would be fun to have a contest like his cousin Tyler did to see who could guess which mission he would be called to. 

So Tommy sent out the following email inviting our relatives to participate in the “Guess Tommy’s Mission Destination Contest”.  

Dear Family,
I (Tommy) just finished getting all the preliminary work done to serve a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, which concluded with an interview with my stake president last Sunday. According to him, I should have my mission call around August 12.

Prior to my cousin Tyler serving his mission, he had a contest giving everyone

a chance to guess where he would go, and my mom and I decided to borrow
the idea because it sounded like fun. So, if you wish to enter, reply to this
email with a mission guess of your choosing (a list is included below). If anyone guesses the correct mission they will receive some kind of (awesome) candy related prize. If not we'll judge the contest based on a very complicated set of rules I've devised to facilitate optimum fairness (<- joke), and someone will get some candy.
-Tom Cheney



We got our first guess from Debbie and Steve Banda. They guessed the California Ventura Mission. Shortly after that Stephanie and Gordon McMaster guessed Hawaii Honolulu. As we received guesses we wrote them on our big 3' x 4' white board.  In all we received 58 guesses, 14 of them to Japan.






No comments: