Friday, July 27, 2012

Missionary Shirt Cupcakes for Tom's MTC Birthday

November 20, 2011



A Missionary Cupcake

Companion Cupcakes




Almost a whole District

Tommy had his 25th birthday a week and a half after he arrived at the Missionary Training Center.  We sent him a birthday package that included these cupcakes. It was a lot of fun figuring out how to make them look like little missionary shirts. The main part of the "shirt" was regular frosting. The "collar" was a dough, kind of like fondant, made out of powdered sugar and water. I cut the tie out of a piece of sour ribbon candy and the name tag from a piece of chocolate bar. 

I searched online for some packing ideas but all the sites said cupcakes are too fragile to be mailed. It was clearly going to be a miracle if the cupcakes made it in good shape but I thought it was worth a try. So I put the cupcakes in a cupcake box with padding under them to lift them to the very top of the box. Then I packed mini-marshmallows around them to hold them in place. I hoped that would keep them from moving around even if the package got turned upside down or on it's side. Then I packed the box of cupcakes tightly in the birthday package along with everything else, wrote "This Side Up" on the top, and sent it on it's way. 

Happy Birthday Elder Tommy
Tommy took this photo of the cupcakes in their box after they arrived.
Tommy with his companion at his MTC birthday party
If you look closely you can see one of the cupcakes with a green candle ready to be lit, plus a Monkey Mints Tin, a Yellow Smiley Face Magic Eight Ball, and other birthday gifts.

Miraculously, the cupcakes arrived in good shape! Tommy said he and his companion had a little birthday party.  They hung the Happy Birthday banner, lit a candle on one of the cupcakes, sang "Happy Birthday" and had some cake.  

3 comments:

Angela said...

Super cute cupcakes! You are so creative!

Angela said...

Super cute cupcakes! You are so creative!

Elizabeth said...

Those cupcakes are awesome! What a blessing that they arrived in perfect shape! Glad his birthday was lovely.