Friday, March 27, 2009

OCTOBER 2008-Baby Blessing, Time Out for Women, Visit to Tri-Cities

In October Mike, Tom, Joe and I went to Oregon for the blessing of Elizabeth and Mark's baby daughter, Kate Lily. Chris and Mandy and Angela and Grant were also able to come with their children to share this special event with Elizabeth, Mark and all the family.



After the blessing and a lovely luncheon at Mark's parents' home we left for home. Elizabeth, Ethan, Rachel and Kate went to Olympia with Mike, Tom and Joe in our van. I rode with Angela and Grant and girls to my Mom and sisters house. They stayed and visited for a while and then left for home.









After a few days at Mom, Alaine and Luetta's house spent visiting, running errands, going to appointments and even visiting Alaine at her Adult Day Services, it was time for Luetta and I to go to Time Out for Women in Portland. We were able to squeeze in a visit to Scott and Debbie and their kids when we first arrived in Portland. They fed us a delicious dinner and we got to visit for a little while. The next morning we met Luetta's friend, Joanne, at the Convention Center. The three of us were ready for some Time Out for Women. During the next two days we were entertained and informed by musicians and speakers including Kenneth Cope, Cherie Call, Sheri Dew, Virginia Hinckley Pierce, Chieko Okazaki, Mary Ellen Edmunds, Elia Gourgouris, Emily Watts, Camille Fronk Olson and others. It was such a great experience. We laughed until our sides hurt, we cried, we were inspired, we were challenged to make the world a better place. It was awesome.


Kenneth Cope. He is so entertaining, not only to listen to, but to watch--his facial expressions, the feeling he puts into his songs.

Chieko Okazaki. What an inspiration!

Karla, Luetta, and Joanne.

Luetta and I got home Saturday night. Mom, Luetta, Alaine and I all went to church in their ward on Sunday. I got to visit with Mike's sister Pat and her husband and son, Rob and Robbie a bit since they go to the same ward. On Monday Tom, Elizabeth, and her children drove from Olympia to Luetta and Mom's house. On Tuesday Tom and I took Liz and her kids home. On Wednesday Tom and I drove back to Mom and Luetta's house. Thursday morning I drove Luetta around to do some errands. She hasn't been able to drive because of dizziness. Thursday afternoon Tom and I left to go home to Olympia. Luetta had so thoughtfully picked all my gourds (about 50 of them) out of her garden the day before to help us get on our way sooner but we got to her house so late Wednesday we decided to put the trip home off until Thursday. So anyway, after doing errands and loading the gourds and everything else into the van we headed home. Tommy drove the first half of the trip. In Ellensburg we stopped at the Dairy Queen for an ice cream treat and to switch drivers. It has been an eventful two weeks. I've enjoyed everything from the baby blessing to the trip home with Tommy and the ice cream treat.


Okay, back to reality. On Friday Tommy and I attended a Septic Tank Class at the Health Building. The teacher taught us all about septic systems and we are now certified to inspect our own septic systems. I even won a septic tank scum and sludge-measuring device in a drawing. The instructor made it out of PVC pipe and it comes apart so it will fit in the car or truck. Isn't that awesome? I know you are all anxious to attend such a fascinating class so just let me know and I'll hook you up with the details. :) Seriously, I never knew that septic systems could be so interesting. We did have a good teacher who made it that way. He even had some real septic tanks outside, above ground (and empty, thank goodness), also a pump chamber, partial drain fields, etc. so he could show us up close what the different parts were and how they should work.

3 comments:

Elizabeth C said...

I love these pictures! These are great times. I bet you had so much fun at Women's conference. I would like to go to that sometime. It makes it kind of difficult always breastfeeding or being pregnant!

Elizabeth C said...

But I guess either one of those shouldn't stop me. :)

Angela said...

These are really good pictures! I stole a bunch. :) I especially LOVE that one of Grant and I! It is so adorable!! (That probably sounds a little braggy. LOL! It is just because I don't normally like pictures with me in them.)